Eastern: Moving to right front quadrant
Horn: Left hand punch
The Ideal attack requires your opponent be in front of you. Starting from a right fighting stance, your opponent steps forward as he executes a left straight punch toward your face.
1. Left Front Crossover toward 1:30 into a Left Front Twist Stance as you execute a Right Inward Parry then a Left Upward Block to your opponent's left arm.
2. Right Step Forward toward 12:00 into a Right Transitional Neutral Bow Stance. Pivot into a Left Forward Bow Stance (facing 7:30) as you deliver a Right Inverted Back Knuckle to your opponent's right mastoid. Maintain a Left Pressing Check to your opponents left arm.
3. Continue the looping action of your right hand and convert it into a Right Pressing Check at your opponent's left shoulder as you pivot into a Left Reverse Close Kneel Stance and deliver a Left Inward Horizontal Elbow to your opponent's left lower ribcage.
4. Convert your left elbow strike into a Left Thrusting Outward Block at the insertion of your opponent’s left shoulder. Pivot into a Left Close Kneel Stance as you loop your right arm clockwise and deliver a Right Inward Downward Diagonal Hammer Fist to your opponent's right kidney.
5. Shuffle toward 7:30 into a Left Closed Kneel Stance as you execute a Left Pressing Check to your opponent’s right shoulder bracing your forearm across their upper back. Execute a Right Hand Grab (palm down) to your opponents right wrist.
6. Right Step Back toward 4:30 into a Left Neutral Bow Stance and maintain the Left Pressing Check to your opponent’s right shoulder bracing your forearm across their upper back. Execute a Right Hand Pull to the opponent’s right wrist upward and behind them.
7. Circle your left arm counterclockwise to the left of your opponent’s face and execute a Left Hand Grab. At the same time deliver a Left Inward Stomp to the back of your opponent’s right leg and a Right Vertical Punch to your opponent's right jaw.
8. Plant toward 10:30 into a Left Transitional Neutral Bow Stance.
9. Left Step Back toward 6:00 into a Right Neutral Bow Stance as you execute a Left Outward Downward Crane Hand to the opponents neck and head as you deliver a Right Uppercut Punch to your opponent's face.
10. Perform a Right Front Crossover and Cover Out toward 6:00.
Though there are similarities between techniques named here the techniques taught in the different branches of the Kenpo family also have notable differences.
We know that each school presents information with a different style and signature that is uniquely associated with their staff and students. Always defer to the instructing staff at your school for guidance should there be any differences in the information being presented.
The American Institute of Kenpo (AIK):
Ed Parker American Kenpo Systems (EPAKS)*:
Tracy Kenpo Systems:
American Kenpo Karate Association (AKKA Karate USA):
*The EPAKS system is copyrighted and all rights are reserved by the Parker Family.
The American Institute of Kenpo (AIK) strongly recommends that all training be overseen by experienced and qualified instructors. Individuals choosing to train without the recommended oversight assume full liability for any and all injuries. In addition, those individuals engaging in training without the oversight of the American Institute of Kenpo’s (AIK’s) certified instructors will be doing so with the understanding and acknowledgment that they are waving subrogation and holding harmless the American Institute of Kenpo (AIK), it's members, and affiliates.