Leveraged: To use a fulcrum
The Ideal attack requires that your opponent attacks you from the front. Your opponent is applying a bearhug with your arms free.
1. Right Step Back toward 6:00 into a Left Forward Bow Stance while you deliver a Right Inward Heel Palm to your opponent’s left temple.
2. Pivot clockwise into a Left Reverse Bow Stance (facing 12:00) while you deliver a Left Inverted Back Knuckle to your opponent’s left mastoid.
3. Pivot counterclockwise into a Left Forward Bow Stance as you execute a Left Hand Grab to your opponent’s hair and Pull down.
4. Deliver a Right Half Fist to your opponent’s throat.
5. Perform a Left Front Crossover and Cover Out toward 6:00.
Though there are similarities between techniques named here the techniques taught in the different branches of the Kenpo family also have notable differences.
We know that each school presents information with a different style and signature that is uniquely associated with their staff and students. Always defer to the instructing staff at your school for guidance should there be any differences in the information being presented.
The American Institute of Kenpo (AIK):
Ed Parker American Kenpo Systems (EPAKS)*:
Striking Serpent’s Head
Tracy Kenpo Systems:
Front Bear Hug
American Kenpo Karate Association (AKKA Karate USA):
Bearhug Free In Front
*The EPAKS system is copyrighted and all rights are reserved by the Parker Family.
The American Institute of Kenpo (AIK) strongly recommends that all training be overseen by experienced and qualified instructors. Individuals choosing to train without the recommended oversight assume full liability for any and all injuries. In addition, those individuals engaging in training without the oversight of the American Institute of Kenpo’s (AIK’s) certified instructors will be doing so with the understanding and acknowledgment that they are waving subrogation and holding harmless the American Institute of Kenpo (AIK), it's members, and affiliates.