Redirected: To guide off center
Hawk: One-handed body grab from the front
The Ideal attack requires your opponent be in a left fighting stance. As he steps forward, he attempts a right cross grab to your right shoulder.
1. Right Step Back towards 6:00 into a Left Neutral Bow Stance as you execute a Left Inward Block to the outside of your opponent’s right arm. Right Positional Check by your solar plexus.
2. Pivot into a Left Forward Bow Stance as you deliver a Right Straight Thrust Punch to the right lower rib cage of your opponent. Left Positional Check to your opponent’s right elbow.
3. Right Hand Counter Grab to the outside of your opponent’s right arm. Pull your opponent’s arm diagonally to your right while delivering a Right Front Kick to his groin.
4. Plant Forward toward 1:30 into a Right Neutral Bow Stance.
5. Right Gauging Step toward 1:30 then pivot into a Right Closed Kneel Stance (facing 1:30) and deliver a Left Straight Thrust Punch to your opponent’s right kidney.
6. Perform a Right Front Crossover and Cover Out toward 7:30.
Though there are similarities between techniques named here the techniques taught in the different branches of the Kenpo family also have notable differences.
We know that each school presents information with a different style and signature that is uniquely associated with their staff and students. Always defer to the instructing staff at your school for guidance should there be any differences in the information being presented.
The American Institute of Kenpo (AIK):
Ed Parker American Kenpo Systems (EPAKS)*:
Capturing the Rod
*The EPAKS system is copyrighted and all rights are reserved by the Parker Family.
The American Institute of Kenpo (AIK) strongly recommends that all training be overseen by experienced and qualified instructors. Individuals choosing to train without the recommended oversight assume full liability for any and all injuries. In addition, those individuals engaging in training without the oversight of the American Institute of Kenpo’s (AIK’s) certified instructors will be doing so with the understanding and acknowledgment that they are waving subrogation and holding harmless the American Institute of Kenpo (AIK), it's members, and affiliates.